Direct Animation Gallery
Sometimes the best way to get to know a technology is to play with demos and
I have included some of the best demos and some of the simplest and most
elegant examples. Please right click and view source where appropriate.
Some of the code is packaged as opaque executables or java, but most of it is
jscript embedded in webpages which I preffer for demo purposes.
Initialy I have mined the DXMedia SDK for the demos the DA team created. As
time provides I will add more of my own demos and demos contributed by DA users.
Please email me with suggestions and examples(I do preffer jscript or vbscript examples).
- Fancy Demonstrations of DirectAnimation Concepts:
- Greg Schechter, DA lead, really understood the capabilities of DA andcreated some of the best technical demos:
Fifteen Puzzle which really should be called 9 puzzle(?)
wonderfully demonstrates how flexible the hierarchical media
model is where the rendered 2D puzzle may be mapped onto a 3D
object and still work (notice that the picking continues to
work when 3D!). Or where a 3D animation may be reused as a
texture, too. Greg repeats this theme in XXX.
onto the puzzle.
- These demos show how a little bit of media and a bit of Direct Animation parametric transformation over time can lead to a rich experience:
- Simple Examples
- Text examples
demonstrates how to render text to an image and overlay it onto another
image. It would be very simple to make any of the parameters time
varying and in effect be animated.
- Image examples
rotating image demonstrates how an image may be imported then
trivialy rotated with respect to time. This demo is using the
Rotate2RateDegrees transform which simplifies mapping time to a
rotational transformation but hides some of the ellegance of the
original DA design.
- Geometry examples
- Sound examples
- Interaction examples
- Language Integration examples
clock demonstrates integration between vbscript and da. The time
is provided by vbscript and used to construct the DA.
- Web Integration examples
pick3 demonstrates an interactive DA animation in run in a
windowless control on top of live html (resize the window to
watch the text reflow) casting shadows on the text... Click on the
geometry to interact with the animation.
- geometry demonstrates how to trivialy animate geometry in Direct Animation. Only 10 lines ofDA code is required. Unfortunately geometry primatives were removed from DA despite my objections so this example requires a tiny .x geometry file to be imported yet the DA code and .x file represent a tiny download.
- colorswitch demonstrates how to attatch buttons to events to control the color of a
Direct Animation object via the modifiable behavior.
Some folk have DirectAnimation examples online (remember to view source them!)